Sunday, December 7, 2008

local symphony

Well, it wasn't opera by any stretch, but live classical music. The local symphony played-- some professionals lots of local amateurs.

Pity that the weakest links in the chain cause the damage, eh? I think that if I were a member of the totally out-of-tune horn section, I'd throw myself off a cliff for being that bad that often. Lousy technique? Bad ear? Improperly rehearsed? Tsk, tsk. Failed in the teamwork department.

Presumably all people have some form of self-discipline and/or will power-- diet, exercise, etc., but classical musicians and Olympic athletes have to like the discipline to get the results they love. Making muscle memory in the fingers, brain, ear, or vocal folds takes repetition. How many triple axles stick VS how many dump the skater on her bottom? Will the gymnast go for the double or more on the dismount? It's the same for all of us-- practice and rehearse until it's second nature.

Where is the art? You tell me what you think. I'm considering it still.

No comments: